MINUTES OF THE BEOA COMMITTEE MEETING 23rd January 2018

MINUTES OF THE BEOA COMMITTEE MEETING
23rd January 2018

London Canal Museum

 

1. PRESENT Jan Cottam, Tina Ure, Josie Brettell, Livy Agnew, Nell Stourton, Pete Collins
2. APOLOGIES Heidi Davis, Lisa Hughes, Diana Bown, Hannah Matthews, Sarah Taylor, Sharon Tovey, Andrew Chadwick, David Sayer, Karen Bartlett, Jo Verey, Simon Bates, Kim Knightley, Laura de Wesselow, Helen West
3. MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING The minutes were approved, with some minor amendments for typos
4. MATTERS ARISING Ground Machinery – BE have taken on board the need for a robust system to manage this equipment. It is important that Organisers report malfunctions or problems with equipment to the RC, Registered Holder & Debbie Pritchard, in order that this can be monitored effectively & the kit kept in prime condition.
Starter Trailers – Problems re wrong equipment being contained in each trailer have been resolved but no plans from BE re future proofing the monitoring of this kit have been forthcoming. As with Ground Machinery – it is important that Organisers report malfunctions or problems with equipment to the RC, Registered Holder & Debbie Pritchard. Both trailers go to Badminton & this provides an excellent opportunity for stock taking, repairs & renewals to be undertaken.
It was generally thought that Holders should be accountable for the care & maintenance of the equipment
Organisers must share in the responsibility by ensuring necessary paperwork is completed
JC to communicate with Organisers
JC to suggest a Starter Trailer sort out at BadmintonHQ Staff to attend events as part of their CPD –   David Holmes – grateful for feedback.   CPD to be arranged

 

BE Vouchers for Prizes – Wendy McGowan has offered a 10% discount.   This was felt not to be enough.   Using training vouchers as prizes would encourage grassroot members. This issue appeared to have been forgotten
JC to go back to WMcG about this

 

Health & Safety – Chris Farr has passed this onto Ray Hipkin & Harry Verney

H&S event inspections have all been reported as a very positive experience

JC to communicate directly with Ray Hipkin & Harry Verney about exact requirements of H&S Officers on an event day.

 

The Suggestion that running an event over 3 days would be cheaper than running over 2 days – WMcG felt that outgoings would be reduced but the committee could only see this applying to set up costs for marquees & Communications.

 

CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
Membership & Horse Registration Costs
– WMcG did not really answer this question but it was felt not worth pursuing

 

Access to BD to Obtain Dressage Judge Details – This appears not to be a problem.

 

Value for Money – JC to circulate a paper written by Michael Munden on the future of National & International classes

 

80(T) – JC has been asked for feedback re proposal for funding for 2018, which was circulated to Organisers & responses reported back to BE. BE has sent a letter out to 80(T) Organisers with the funding decision for 2018 but JC has not had a copy. The proposal was generally felt to be fair.
JC had received an email from Janet Plant from a disgruntled coach which she encouraged to be forwarded to Jane Peters.

TU reiterated the suggestion that the use of Level 2 coaches should be encouraged

 

TREASURER’S REPORT

Ground Care Days – HW has investigated these with positive ideas & suggestions. The cost of a day’s course is £995 there would be refreshment & possibly venue fees on top of this. It was felt that participants could bring their own packed lunches.
It was also felt that the venues should be easily accessible & centrally positioned (1 in the north & 1 in the south). Cirencester & Allerton were considered good options.

NS to enquire re the possibility of Allerton

JC to go back to HW with committee thoughts

 

Social Media Sessions – LdW has had productive discussions with Sarah Skillin who has been very obliging & come up with a number of possibilities.   JC & LdW to speak to SS at the Commercial Forum.

The committee felt that as BEOA had concentrated on Social Media last year & we had been talking about Ground Care Days for some time, we should focus on the latter for this year. JC suggested a talk from SS after the AGM at Badminton & would enquire about the cost of this.

PC Discipline Issue – JC reported that DH was deciding how best to respond over the next 48 hours & that he would communicate this to PC
The committee felt there should be some feed back from officials on the day reference discipline issues when connected to their volunteers/officials. Communication with BE about outcomes was invariably not happening leading to a lack of confidence that they were being dealt with appropriately.
It was generally felt that these issues were not being dealt with quickly enough
JC to discuss with the Sport Committee the concern from organisers about lack of communication regarding discipline issues on event, the time taken to resolve plus the outcomes not being communicated.

ACTIONS

JC to communicate with Organisers – it is important that Organisers report any malfunctions or problems with Ground Machinery or Starter Trailers to the RC, Registered Holder & Debbie Pritchard. Organisers must share in the responsibility by ensuring necessary paperwork is completed

JC to suggest a Starter Trailer sort out at Badminton
JC to go back to WMcG about a proposed 10% discount as the issue of encouraging grassroot members had been forgotten
JC to communicate directly with Ray Hipkin & Harry Verney about exact requirements of H&S Officers on an event day.

JC to circulate a paper written by Michael Munden on the future of National & International classes
NS to enquire re the possibility of Allerton

JC to go back to HW with committee thoughts
JC & LdW to speak to SS about Social Media sessions at the Commercial Forum.
JC to talk to SS about the possibility & cost of a Social Media talk after the AGM at Badminton
JC to discuss with the Sport Committee the concern from organisers about lack of communication regarding discipline issues on event, the time taken to resolve plus the outcomes not being communicated.

5. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT Fixtures – JC has been involved in a Fixture’s Panel appealBE has invited members of BEOA to a meeting in Kenilworth on February 2nd.   Topics to be discussed are:-

  1. Strategic Calendar in 2019 and beyond
  2. Championships, contracts and tender processes
  3. Longer Term Affiliation Agreement
  4. Balance of International/National events and classes
  5. Regional Finals and Series Qualifiers

Additional discussion has been invited & we have suggested:-

  1. Communication between BE & Organisers
  2. How will Chris Farr’s role be coped with following his departure from BE
  3. National v International – The future
  4. The Commercial Forum & GDPR

Those attending from BEOA will be Jan Cottam, Andrew Chadwick, Livy Agnew, Nell Stourton, Tina Ure

JC to communicate with Chris Farr about agenda items & those attending

 

The Future – Jan has received communication from Michael Munden expressing concerns about the focus of BE on the commercial side of eventing. There has been significant investment on this but with little tangible evidence of any beneficial effect on Organisers & Members.
BE has said that they have had to reduce outgoings this year. It is believed there will be no Development Grants . The committee felt this was a retrograde step.

JC to take this topic to the Fixtures Meeting

 

GDPR – There was mixed feedback to the revised Annex 3.   There continues to be confusion as to who is the Data Controller for Entries. The Annex has undergone an amendment but remains unsatisfactory to the committee.

JC has been in communication with BE following research & discussion with ‘experts’. There is a huge difference of opinion but what is clear is the certain consequence that if there was a data breach, both BE & the Organiser/Event would be jointly & severally liable.

The committee felt that BE had a duty to provide clear guidelines to Organisers.   JC would suggest to BE that these guidelines should be separated into 3 different groups.

1.      Events running from greenfield sites
2.      Events running from centres (as part of a business)
3.      Events that are dealing with ticketing, large numbers of visitors, traders & heavily involved in marketing etc. (eg. Badminton, Blenheim, Burghley etc.)
WMcG is working on simple guide for Organisers

 

ACTIONS:-
JC to communicate with Chris Farr about agenda items & those attending

JC to take this topic to the Fixtures Meeting

JC would suggest to BE that these guidelines should be separated into 3 different groups.

  1. TREASURER’S REPORT
£2826.08 in the bank to dateThe accounts were approved by the committee to be circulated to Organisers. This was proposed by Tina Ure & seconded by Nell Stourton
JC to circulate accounts 21 days prior to AGM ready for approval

 

There was some discussion about the cost of meetings as we had experienced high venue hires in 2017. TU to investigate the meeting room at Edgecote, Banbury as a cheaper option.

 

ACTIONS:-

JC to circulate accounts 21 days prior to AGM ready for approval
TU to investigate the meeting room at Edgecote, Banbury as a cheaper option.

JC to book caterer for AGM & ask Karen re the use of the Horse trials Support Group for the committee meeting prior to the AGM

6. WORKING GROUPS BEOA ITTP Working Group – Disappointing progress with the project as forecasted discussion with Make Positive to resolve issues concerning the Specification have not been resolved.ITTPWG are still to ask at next meeting about

  • Addtional costs
  • An extension of the 2020 mandate
  • The cost of support
  • Ask for tests of transference of files between systems
  • Prompt payment of funds due to Organisers
  • Initially the ITTPWG was set up to be ambassadors of the project to help with a positive transition to the new system. How can BEOA help to manage the expectations of interested parties

EARS – scoring on event does not have to be online

The committee felt that Stuart Buntine’s contribution to this group had been helpful. JC to ask if he would like to continue.

 

It was noted that the magazine has lost the ballot dates. JC to enquire re this with BE

 

Where is Our Sport Going Group?” – As this topic will no longer be covered by the Viability Group, there was interest into how it was being addressed by BE. JC to investigate. The committee felt that Stuart Buntine’s contribution had been invaluable & would like to ask him if he would be prepared to continue JC to discuss with him

 

COMMERCIAL GROUP – The Commercial Forum is being held on January 30th. JC was asked by BE for feedback to the Guide. JC stated it was not appropriate for the ‘grassroot’ Organiser. This is being addressed & a grassroot guide was being worked on to be completed before Christmas & then circulated to Organisers. Nobody has seen this.
The term ‘Grassroots’ was questioned by the BE marketing department as it was felt this might ‘do down’ an event. The committee felt that ‘National’ was a more appropriate term. JC to inform BE about this.

 

ENTRIES SECRETARY GROUP – JB to chase up the response to her work on Entries procedure

 

ACTIONS:-
JC to enquire re loss of ballot dates in magazine with BE
JC to ask Stuart Buntine if would like to continue with the ITTPWG & Looking Ahead to the Future Group.
JC to investigate how ‘The Future’ was being covered now the Viability Group has been disbanded.
JC to inform BE the committee felt that ‘National’ was a more appropriate term than Grassroots.

JB to chase up the response to her work on Entries procedure

 

7. INSURANCE  HM & HD have raised concerns about insurance. In the past, those helping on event, were covered by BE insurance. This cover has been dumbed down over the last few years. For instance, if a volunteer had an incident with their car in the course of helping out at an event, they would not be covered by BE but by the insurance of the parties involved.This was felt by the committee to be a retrograde step as volunteers were to be encouraged as a very valuable asset to an event. Could volunteers have a reduced price membership that covered their cars? JC to enquire about this.

 

ACTIONS:-
JC to enquire about no insurance for volunteers & officials helping on event. Could volunteers have a reduced membership that covered their cars?

 

8 NEXT MEETING & OPEN MEETING Remaining Committee Meeting Dates for 2018 PLEASE NOTE THERE HAVE BEEN SOME CHANGES !!

6th March Edgecote Banbury

3rd May   Badminton

10th July   London Canal Museum

2nd October   London Canal Museum

20th November Edgecote Banbury

 

Dates for Open Meetings & AGM

3rd May   Badminton AGM

7th June Bramham (TBC) NS to facilitate

30th August Burghley (TBC) AC to facilitate

 

Additional Dates

30th January BE Commercial Event Forum Venue to be confirmed

2nd February   Meeting with BE to discuss Fixtures & other matters Kenilworth

ACTIONS:-
JC to cancel Farmers Fayre 6th March & 2nd October
JC to change venue at LCM from 20th November to 2nd October
Open Meeting 7th June Bramham (TBC) NS to facilitate

Open Meeting 30th August Burghley (TBC) AC to facilitate

JC to book caterer for AGM & ask KB re the use of the Horse trials Support Group for the committee meeting prior to the AGM

9. AOB Live Scoring Jo Verey – The loss of a sponsor due to a decreased footfall as a result of live scoring. The committee sympathised and felt the only solution would be to design the event layout to maximise the passage of people past traders. 

World Equestrian & Human Anti-Doping Program Fee   Alex Bright – The committee felt it was difficult to see how a satisfactory resolution could be reached & therefore considered leaving as is, to be the best solution until a better one could be found.

Controller CPD   Henry Symington – The committee expressed support for controllers & in particular the Mentoring Scheme. It is understood that a recent meeting with Jonathon Clissold was very positive & hoped that future concerns would be addressed positively.

 

Fire Safety in the Lorry Park     Pattie Biden – This topic was raised following the incident at Liverpool International. It was felt that care take in the arrangements for parking of both lorries & cars would enable clear access to an incident in the event of a fire

 

Eventing Worldwide   Jan Cottam – Several committee members had experienced issues with this company, some of which had not been resolved satisfactorily whilst other organisers were quite happy.

It was agreed that if a company was going to make money out of an event by selling photos, then it was appropriate for the event to charge for this. Some events had agreements with EWW that they could visit to report on their event, could take a few photos but were not allowed to sell any of these.

 

JC to report back to those raising issues in AOB

Our Gallery