MINUTES OF THE BEOA COMMITTEE MEETING 18th January 2017

PRESENT Jan Cottam, Andrew Chadwick, Lisa Hughes, Livy Agnew, Pete Collins, Tina Ure, Helen West, Jo Verey, David Sayer, Hannah Matthews, Josie Brettell, Simon Bates, Stuart Buntine, Nell Mowbray, Kim Knightley, Karen Bartlett, Laura de Wesselow
APOLOGIES Diana Bown, Sarah Taylor, Heidi Davis
MATTERS ARISING
IT Project – Following emails between JC and Guy Prest (cc’d David Holmes and Paul Hodgson) GP suggested a BEOA IT Working Group (StB, HW, NM, JB & TU) with a conference call on 11.01.17.

Guy offered reassurance about appropriate and vigorous governance and disputed our concerns about the project lacking an Organiser plus someone with in depth knowledge of the sport.  GP felt he had that role but this was not supported amongst the committee. GP highlighted that “it needs to be a collaborative approach in my mind as a lot of progress has been made and we need to build on that. At the same time issues that cause confusion or that are likely to cause Organisers concern need to be challenged with positive alternatives and facts that strengthen our role”. JC noted that we cannot ‘challenge’ if we do not know the facts.

A meeting with David and IT Project Management after today’s committee meeting was planned.

Feedback from BEOA IT WG conference call was positive. There are concerns the project is already delayed and that topics such as admin costs, ‘out of hours’ cover and trial events had not been thought through.

HW felt the Working Group need to action the improved communication.  StB noted Organisers need this information so that they can be positive spokespersons for this project.

StB has offered to be trial the system at his events but has not heard from BE.

HW EARS will be available to unaffiliated events in the future

It is not essential to have Wi-Fi at an event.

All BE Organisers must use the new system.

HW asked what will this new project do above and beyond current systems.

PC expressed concerns that other developers may just pack up, leaving Organisers in the lurch if the project is not up and running for 2018.

LdeW – Concerned there has been no consultation with Owners and Riders and it will be Organisers that take the flack.

JB – What exists at the moment is not good enough so we have to move forward but NM is not confident that it will meet the brief.  IT Project has future proof- technologies which will be updated monthly on the Salesforce platform.

SiB Other disciplines are also building new systems but worldwide there is nothing that is good enough to copy.

BEOA IT Working Group to facilitate the following –

1)      Arrange a meeting prior to next BEOA meeting 09.03.17 plus further discussions re the project

2)      Seek better communication of timeline/progress beyond the website updates

3)      Information re the Organisers page and other evidence of project developments

4)      Assurances that the costs of the project are on track

5)      Ensure that trials are taken across the board of events

Ground Care –STRI will be present at Bicton on 02.03.17. HW to chase up re costs and possibly holding a workshop on this date & other venues.

AC – Somerford will cost £250 for classroom and £6/head for food.

JC had not managed to speak with RF re iBooks & Webinair. JC to forward link about creating Ebooks. TU is sending a virtual programme out with times.

Co-opted Board member – no news re co-opting AC. BE have said leave until December. KB questioned this. BE are advertising for A Director (Finance) to work in a non-executive capacity

Event Evaluation – Chris Farr will make sure RC’s are being as efficient as they can be.  The topic will be raised at the Officials conference to encourage Officials to complete in good time.  The AA states Evaluations should be with Organisers within 4 weeks.  HW’s EE arrived mid January with no written comments.  JC to speak to CF about this.

CF felt that Officials have discussed speaking to organisers on Event and there was a feeling that this was not possible.  JC and StB did not remember this.  StB highlighted that issues of concern are best raised on the day at the event.  JC to check this is brought up at the Officials Conference

Social Media Workshops – Have been arranged and places are being booked. Payment method to be changed so online payments can be made. KB will keep track of these. Reminds Organisers that these workshops are subsidised.

JC to remind Organisers that workshops are subsidised as well as inform of new payment method.

Commercial & Marketing Group –BEOA Members LdeW & StB

Main message is about value and perception – What is BE?  LdeW- The group is considering this from a Global to local scale.  She felt it may be more beneficial to work from the bottom up.  This is a 5-10 year project.  There is an understanding that the heart of the sport & the key to success, is Events.  Rob Pope is doing a good job.  LdeW – The group is trying to unlock the value of what eventing can offer sponsors & what information we can give about our membership

6.8million people are interested in horses in UK.  Events are the starting point – 80’s, 90’s and 100’s are the key place to be.

Money going into the sport is increasing but is going to the big 6 Events.  There is a general misconception that the money made at Badminton and Burghley is put back into the sport but the reality is that it is kept by those events.

KB- Revealing sponsorships will be part of a new affiliation group

TU – Spoke of BE lack of interest in her Protexin qualifier

SiB suggested that entry forms should have an opt in or opt out option for sponsorship. This can be done on BDWP.

BE are producing a document on demographics using data from events that use online ticketing. This information can be used to approach sponsors.

JC to recirculate C&M presentation

Arena Eventing – Debbie Marfell said that “Paula has been in touch with Bicton. AE has been a real challenge and given the choice we would have asked for it to be reintroduced in 2018.”

Committee agreed that is was reintroduced too soon and that there was a staggering lack of knowledge from BE. HW noted they had not organised collecting ring stewards, help in the judges box etc.  Bicton’s online entries did not work and there was no contact number on the BE page.  JC to report this to the Sports Committee

Membership Numbers – Breakdown

Supporters – 1368

Day Pass – 3695

Professional – 89

Full Members – 9176

Owners – 1438

Honary Life Membership – 277.

DS concerned that Supporter Members get free admission to events.

Health & Safety – Harry Verney and Ray Hipkin will be assessing events in the future. BE will be running 3 Health and Safety days in the Spring.

JC to ask what has happened to the Regional Officers

Programmes – DM has confirmed that ‘programmes’ will be carried over to 2017 to enable full consideration. JC had found the communication process very frustrating. The 2017 rule book indicates the minimum requirements for programmes.

JC has made the point to DH, Les Smith and Paul Hodson re Working Groups not working. This has led to both groups arranging meetings in February.

StB suggested that the Board should go on tour to 5-6 events, put up a tent and offer tea and coffee to membership. JB said they would have more communication with competitors if they stewarded sj & xc collecting rings!

Location Maps – Miranda Collett confirmed these used riders address

U18 Classes – Chris Farr has said that a draft list of guidelines will be published in New Year.

Legal Protection – Following our last meeting, JC was given assurances that Organisers were covered by insurance whilst running an event, unless they act inappropriately.

PC would like a ‘stand alone’ statement confirming this.  JC to work with PC & Wendy McGowan re this

Currently most events do not permit motorcycles or ATV’S by a statement in the omnibus and within the online program.  PC says this statement probably needs extending to be all embracing.
AC noted that people driving quad bikes/ATV’s/mobility scooters must have third party insurance from April 17.  This is subject to legislation approval.

There was a concern that all crossing points need to be manned. JC to clarify this with BE

LdeW concerned that tradestands should be monitored during set up to ensure safe practice

The protocol for the allocation of RF’s is in Annex 1a of AA

FEI Medical fees concern about how they are collected. JB noted that it is event specific as to if collecting with start fee or entry fee is easier. DM will discuss with International organisers.

Daylight restrictions on numbers – It had been agreed in the last meeting that Event Support should be set by Event week not date.  JC to take this to the Sports Committee

DS felt that March events are a section down meaning they lose £2000 a day.  He stated the subsidy is only £425 & asked that the £100,000 subsidy from BE be handed out more fairly in 2018 with more support for March and October events.  PC said it was important that we ask for additional support and not the reallocation of funds already available.

NM’s event runs before these restrictions are put in place but she restricts her entries due to light problems. She does not get any financial support for this.

StB says events must be able to justify that they are being forced to restrict numbers by showing waitlists or balloting. JC asked for a mechanism showing/proving there are competitors wanting these spaces.

SiB suggested that March and October events could put up start fees to make up for loss of income. StB said it is a problem is difficult to make the maths work at 240-260 horses.

Some events are breaking the rules and running more than 300.

ACTIONS:

BEOA IT Working Group (NM, StB, JB, HW, TU) to facilitate the following –

1)      Arrange a meeting prior to next BEOA meeting 09.03.17 plus further discussions re the project

2)      Seek better communication of timeline/progress beyond the website updates

3)      Information re the Organisers page and other evidence of project developments

4)      Assurances that the costs of the project are on track

5)      Ensure that trials are taken across the board of events

HW to chase up re costs & formats of Ground Care Workshops
JC to forward link about creating Ebooks.
HW’s EE arrived mid January with no written comments.  JC to speak to CF about this.

JC to remind Organisers that workshops are subsidised as well as inform of new payment method.

JC to recirculate C&M presentation

HW noted they had not organised collecting ring stewards, help in the judges box etc.  Bicton’s online entries did not work and there was no contact number on the BE page.  JC to report this to the Sports Committee

JC to ask what has happened to the Regional Officers

PC would like a ‘stand alone’ statement confirming this.  JC to work with PC & Wendy McGowan re this

There was a concern that all crossing points need to be manned. JC to clarify this with BE

Daylight restrictions on numbers – It had been agreed in the last meeting that Event Support should be set by Event week not date.  JC to take this to the Sports Committee, suggesting the Event Weeks is the critical measure

JC to speak to KB re first come first served entries SVWG

JC to suggest to DH that he do a variety of roles at events

More work on Open Meetings needed

CHAIRMAN’S REPORT The Chair felt there was nothing to report that would not be raised during the meeting.

JC talked about the difficulty of writing letters to DH re lack of joined up thinking in Working Groups and the IT Project. It is important to make these positive.  Organiser’s relationship has come a long way in the last few years.  It is important to continue this.

StB suggested that there should be more delegation of action points.

JC wondered if we should be sharing minutes with all Organisers but it was felt bullet points were sufficient.

TREASURER’S REPORT We are not growing reserves as funds will be used for Social Media and Groundcare workshops.

Accounts were approved. StB proposed and TU seconded.

ENTRIES SECRETARY GROUP Continuing to be useful.  A meeting would be arranged for discussion in due course.
Where is our sport Going? – StB expressed concerns about the future of our sport, 2020 and beyond. There are many changes affecting the future

  • An increase in the minimum wage will have an impact on all event costs and therefore entry fees
  • BREXIT will probably see cut backs in agriculture payments leading to landowners needing greater returns from events.
  • XC Courses could have business rates applied to them

These concerns need to be taken to the SVWG and SDWG.  KB noted that there is not currently anyone on the board taking responsibility for the sports future.

KB said this is something BE is aware of.  She was going to do a paper on it but didn’t want to raise flags.

SiB suggested Organisers begin to build a fighting fund by putting entry fees up.

StB suggested setting up a working group to look at future financial viability. StB, AC, JV, LA and LdeW will meet to discuss and come back in next four to five months.

Fixtures Protocol – LdeW Concerned that new events are being put into fixtures list ahead of older events requests. She described a case where a new event was put in above a current fixture getting a second day. At the same time, LdeW asked to move dates but was not allowed. There are now three events running on one weekend with in 20miles of each other.  LdeW’s major concern is the effect these decisions are having on other events.

StB noted an event he had assessed as a TA as being suitable for mid calendar & has been put on in the first week of the season.

JC/PC asked if these decisions had been challenged. There is a feeling that appeals are not listened to or not allowed to get that far. JC suggested that the Fixtures protocol has now been put in place so we must all use it.

JC to remind Organisers of Fixtures Protocol

Additional Doctors – AC asked if anyone else found the extra doctor a challenge. Generally, people did not.

Our Gallery